[XeTeX] recent changes in XeTeX building

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 19:36:57 CEST 2010

Dear list,

I do not follow XeTeX development too closely, but I do need to care
about our distribution and two platforms on which XeTeX failed to
build not that long ago (it was definitely failing back in May) are
now both building fine which is great news. However:
- on linux the binary is 28 MB
- on OSX the binary is 13 MB and located under
build-xetex-debug/texk/web2c/xetex (interesting location)
- there is no xdvipdfmx built by default any more

My two questions are:
- At first I thought that xdvipdfmx might now be part of xetex, but I
have tried to delete it and apparently it still reports "xdvipdfmx:
command not found". Why has building of xdvipdfmx been removed from
./build-xetex.sh? Are there any plans to get it back?
- Is the 28 MB file on linux normal (= something that may reasonably
be expected)? The last time when I tried to build XeTeX on Mac in
pre-Snow-Leopard area (and when it still worked) it was only 7,8M.

Thanks a lot,
    Mojca