[XeTeX] Extra trailing space in IPA font with xltxtra

Paolo Matteucci p.n.matteucci at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 11:28:07 CEST 2010

 On Sep 20, 2010, at 1:07 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> You're obvious using a TeX Live 2010 binary with the TeX Live 2009
> distribution:

Ahem, are we sure about this? ;-)

Comparing my log with Alan’s, I’d say I’ve got TeX Live 2010 binaries *and*
distribution: simply, it looks like the TeX Live Manager updated my 2009
distribution "in situ" in the 2009 *directory* (on Windows without even
notifying me: on the Mac, the TeX Live Utility told me about
distribution/TeX Manager incompatibility, but by reinstalling the TeX Live
Manager from it, it proceeded as on Windows): whether this behaviour should
be prevented, or vice versa encouraged by making it more obvious, might be
the topic for a different discussion (on a different list?).

2010/9/20 Alan Munn <amunn at gmx.com>

>  Putting \relax after the last character in the TIPA string will solve the
> problem.
>
> \textipa{a\relax}

Thank you, Alan, for the quick fix, although this doesn’t explain why this
is happening in the first place, and where the "bug" is. After further
investigation, fontspec [v2.1] (i.e. *not* xltxtra or xunicode) seems to be
the "culprit" here: it could be as simple as a percent sign missing
somewhere or be due to some subtle font/encoding interaction. Will or Khaled
might want to have a look at this…

Many thanks,

Paolo