[XeTeX] virtual keyboard question

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Sep 19 13:08:09 CEST 2010

On 9/19/2010 3:57 AM, Manfred Lotz wrote:
> I found this one:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964651.aspx
> Is it the URL you meant?
Yes, that's the one.  Note that when using these graphics you can click
on SHIFT or ALT GR and they will stay "depressed" and show what symbols
are available in those states.

> I would assume that in order to get for instance devanagari correctly
> into an editor, say texworks in Windows 7 the font which texworks uses
> must have devanagari support.
An interesting point.  The font that you use when generating your PDF
(i.e., for the final product) must support Devanagari.  The one that you
use in TeXworks's editor window does not necessarily have to.  Of
course, without Devanagari support, you will see little boxes rather
than the appropriate characters.  But if one is typing only a word of
Devanagari here and there, perhaps that's OK.

I do this fairly often, since the font I prefer for editing does not
support a couple of scripts I occasionally use for short phrases.  After
I compile the document, I see the right characters in the PDF so I don't
mind.  (Caveat: I don't use Devanagari, and it's possible that with a
script so complex this might not work.)

David