[XeTeX] virtual keyboard question

Manfred Lotz manfred.lotz at arcor.de
Sun Sep 19 09:57:27 CEST 2010

Hi David,
Thanks a lot for your explanations. I personally don't use any Windows
and thus that was most valuable.

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:10:30 -0400
David Perry <hospes.primus at verizon.net>
wrote:

> There's a page on Microsoft's web site where one can get a graphic
> showing the layout for each keyboard shipped with Windows; the
> graphics can be copied and pasted into a document and printed for
> reference.  (I don't have the URL at hand but a google search will

I found this one:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964651.aspx
Is it the URL you meant?

> > different languages aka. fonts
> Languages and fonts are different (although interconnected) issues.
> A single font may support several scripts.  Linux Libertine, e.g.,
> has Latin, Greek, Cyrillic and Hebrew; Times New Roman has these and
> more, including (I think) Arabic.  Other fonts support only one or
> two scripts.  Windows comes with quite a wide selection, with more

Sure, you are right.

> recent versions (Vista and 7) having the best support.  Note that on
> Win7, fonts that are designed to support a single script are grayed
> out if that script is not enabled in the Control Panel.

I would assume that in order to get for instance devanagari correctly
into an editor, say texworks in Windows 7 the font which texworks uses
must have devanagari support.

--
Manfred