[XeTeX] Problem with Polyglossia's \aemph command

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 18 12:36:08 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 11:29:22AM +1000, Vafa Khalighi wrote:

> > On the attached minimal example I get the following error when I use the
> > Polyglossia command \aemph to place an overline over text.
> >
> > >* ! Undefined control sequence.
> > *>* \aemph #1->$\overline {\hboxR

> > The control sequence \hboxR is undefined which means you have an old
> version of the bidi package. Update your bidi to the latest version
> (v1.1.4c).

Because of that, the \RequirePackage command knows an optional
argument that specifies the version date that the loaded package
should at least have. Otherwise LaTeX prints a warning, that
an old package is used, but a newer one is requested.

In case of \aemph:

  \AtEndPreamble{\@ifpackageloaded{bidi}{\newcommand*{\aemph}[1]{$\overline{\hboxR{#1}}$}}{}}

Guards can be used:
* \@ifpackagelater to ensure a appropriate version of package bidi