[XeTeX] Inactive citation links with hyperref and natbib

Pierre Morel pier.morel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 10:50:55 CEST 2010

After much and much googling, I found the origin of my (quite complex) problem, here it is :

- I use "Papers" to generate my .bib files, the citation references are of the form {author:yearppage} (note the use of a colon)
- Part of my thesis is in French (I use babel to switch from language to language)
- Babel when set to French does something to the colon character (spacing around colon is different in French), which interferes with the colon separator used for in my references
- When using pdftex, it produces an error, stopping at the first reference of the first French part
- With Xetex, it doesn't say anything, it just messes with hyperref

My quick and dirty fix is to deactivate what babel does with the colon with \shorthandoff{:}, but I get incorrect spacing around the colon (not that bad).
Switching to polyglossia makes things worse: xetex stops at the first reference of the first French part.

What do you suggest for an elegant fix to this problem ? (Papers doesn't allow to change the colon, and I already have LOTS of references included anyway).