[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation "initiative"

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 09:24:05 CEST 2010

A somewhat belated reply.....

> - Of course ConTeXt mustn't be ignored. ConTeXt Mk IV,
> which is based on LuaTeX, seems to have everything that is
> missing from LaTeX: a stable, coherent interface, a
> well-designed architecture that makes LaTeX-style hacking
> and package clashes unnecessary, XML support,
> micro-typography, OpenType math, and much more. In most
> respects it's several decades ahead of LaTeX. I've noticed
> that newbies have been mentioned several times in this
> thread: perhaps beginners should ignore LaTeX altogether and
> use ConTeXt exclusively.

The problem with ConTeXt (in my opinion, at least) is comes with virtually no pre-coded layout class or style files. On Context-garden I read something along the lines of "We expect that the user knows what (s)he is doing so we don't tell the user how to lay out a document." or something along those lines. That is a great big barrier.

Wilfred