[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation initiative - a website

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Sep 12 15:27:40 CEST 2010

On 9/12/2010 5:59 AM, Michiel Kamermans wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've put up a wiki with a highly tentative structure on
> http://wiki.xelatex.org/doku.php - sadly xetex.org is taken by some
> domain hiking service so there's no obvious xetex.org counterpart to be
> had...

Mike,

Thanks for taking the initiative on this.  It's a very good start.

I was going to make the suggestions about not duplicating existing
documentation and suggesting the best packages when there is more than
one, but Will beat me to it.  I'd suggest having a paragraph about using
CTAN and pointing out that usually the info about actually using the
package is in the front; people can ignore the real technical stuff at
the end.

Here's one more suggestion:  Would it be useful to designate some parts
of the text as less important for beginners?  For instance, some people
might want to know more about the history of TeX and the relations among
the various versions, while others might get impatient and just want to
see how to start their first document.  One short paragraph would
provide the essentials and another longer one could give more
background.  Right now we could just mark the less important stuff with
a phrase like <less important>; later that could be handled
typographically (smaller size, indented, special symbol, whatever).

David