[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation "initiative"

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 15:06:42 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 6:25 AM, Michiel Kamermans
<pomax at nihongoresources.com> wrote:

> (And ideally keeping it free, even if it ends up available in book form. I
> personally found that the one truly annoying thing about the LaTeX companion
> - I don't mind paying for a reference work after it turns out it is the
> reference work I need, but what's the point of a free typesetting engine
> when the documentation costs a non-trivial amount of money? It always seemed
> to me the one real reason LaTeX is considered so inaccessible to the general
> public)

I don't mind paying for books I find useful, but I have found that The
LaTeX Companion
must be useful to people who do mind paying, as I have had to replace
it several times
after my copy went missing.   I don't have a lock on my office door,
so I've had other
books disappear once, but TLC is the only  one that needed replacement
multiple times.
I like Cory Doctorow's approach -- you can get his book for free and
if you want to pay
for it he suggests donating copies to schools and libraries.   Maybe
if more libraries had
TLC I could keep it on my shelf.

For works like TLC the ability to search for a specific topic gives
digital versions an
advantage over print.   I have noticed that many people need help locating the
appropriate section in TLC using contents and index, despite the
obvious effort that
went into those parts fo teh book.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia