[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation "initiative"

Alexander Schultheiß aschulth at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 12 11:46:02 CEST 2010

Without knowing a great deal about all the TeX flavors, I'd like to
point out that a "one documentation for everything and everybody" is
unlikely to get finished and to work out. It will rather confuse
readers, I think. I myself have switched from LaTeX/TeX to XeTeX for
the simple reason that XeTeX can handle ttf/otf fonts without to much
hassle. What I missed was not so much a complete documentation about
XeTeX--which, however, is never a bad thing to have--than more a kind
of a quick start. What is the strength of XeTeX? Which gap does it
fill and how is it solved.

IMO, a XeTeX documentation/manual should not explain what is explained
elsewhere, i.e. it should not explain plain TeX before it goes on to
explain XeTeX. There should probably be a section devoted to other TeX
variants, a chapter with a quick start as described above but in
essence a XeTeX documentation should focus on XeTeX _only_ and what it
adds to TeX (with useful examples). If you want a documentation about
LuaTeX it's up to the LuaTeX project to provide a documentation, isn't
it?

Alex