[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation "initiative"

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sat Sep 11 04:32:27 CEST 2010

On 9/10/2010 8:59 PM, Diederick C. Niehorster wrote:

> Hmm, in the view that this is a large undertaking, I would vote for
> focusing on that which works uniformaly accross platforms first. such
> additional, platform specific information can be added later, possbily
> marked by an apple, windows symbol or tux in the margin to mark which
> platform its intended for.
Windows and Linux work the same, don't they, since they both use the ICU
renderer?  And the number of AAT-specific things that fontspec supports
is quite small, so this really isn't much of an issue.  But we can't
ignore those few things; for instance, a Mac user must know whether or
not to include [script= ] in a fontspec command if text in a complex
script is to be processed correctly.

> While realizing that indeed many come to xe(la)tex with little to no
> background in (la)tex, being myself one of those, I do think it might
> be best to start work on the more xe(la)tex specific parts. Given the
> outline proposed, it might be best to start by filling in those parts
> on which we see most questions on the list here and only after fan out
> to discussing packages that work equally well on latex.
This makes sense.

David