[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation "initiative"

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Fri Sep 10 19:04:22 CEST 2010

On 9/10/2010 12:18 PM, Tobias Schoel wrote:

> When someone arrives at xelatex he has usually gone some way through the
> tex/latex world already. (Mostly latex, I think.) You can safely suppose
> that he has read and used:
> - lshort
> - one latex book (companion, texbook, ...)
> - some further tutorials and package documentations he needed
Perhaps I am the exception, but I never used TeX until recently because
my work requires Unicode and OT/AAT support for both linguistic and
high-quality typesetting purposes.  That also means I need fonts that
LaTeX traditionally knows nothing about, so the ability to use any
system font is also important.  I was delighted when I discovered
Xe(La)TeX but had a long learning curve ahead of me.

On Windows, support for advanced typography, including things like
stylistic alternates that can be important to scholars, typically
requires a large financial outlay for programs like InDesign.  I suspect
there are a number of folks who could make good use of Xe(La)TeX but
don't have the background that Tobias suggests.  Let's not forget them.

David