[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation "initiative"

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 01:32:22 CEST 2010

Hi Elliott,

To answer your question: as far as I know, from the point of view of xetex as a computer language, it is supposed to be the same as standard tex, and thus ConTeXt should work just as well with xetex. But if you want to use a special XeTeX feature which is not yet introduced into ConTeXt, then you are out on your own. Thus, if you have a ConTeXt document which can be compiled by "old-fashioned" tex, it should also work with XeTeX. But if you want to use a special font feature of XeTeX, it may not be directly applicable if ConTeXt has no support for it. Anyway, for ConTeXt there are separate mail lists and a wiki-like website (ConTeXt garden). The only thing I can say about ConTeXt is that it suffers from the problem that good programmers are not always good writers :-)). Hans Hagen is an excellent programmer, but I have never been able to fathom any of his writings (Sorry, Hans, if you read this :-))  )

Your encouragement is good. I may even start considering making a tentative table of contents for the newly revamped xetex companion - see what comments it will attract.

Cheerio,
Wilfred