[XeTeX] XeTeXpdffile media box etc

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Sep 8 16:20:11 CEST 2010

On Sep 7, 2010, at 10:36 PM, Will Robertson wrote:

> I'm writing up the syntax of \XeTeXpdffile and \XeTeXpicfile and I'd like someone who knows better than I do to explain the optional argument to \XeTeXpdffile to control the bounding box of the graphic:
>
>    [ crop | media | bleed | trim | art ]
>
> Any volunteers? (If these are standard "industry" terms, is there a good reference page to link to, perhaps?)

My thanks to Paul for the link.

I guess I should pitch in something here, since I was the one who argued for including all of those options.

Crop, Bleed and Trim are standard printing terms and the usage reflects that. Media is used to describe the underlying page size to which one would likely be printing the file and art is what one wants people to see.

Supporting all of them is important since in differing circumstances one might want to see different things, and having support for all of them creates the possibility of using XeTeX as a flat imposition program for making printing signatures.

The Art box in particular is under-used and I wish that the industry was standardize on it being used to indicate what should be shown (while other things such as design company slugs and signoffs and checkboxes are outside of the art box).

> Also, is there a way to access this functionality through \includegraphics?

Not AFAIK, unless it has an option to passing things through.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer