[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation "initiative"

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Sep 8 12:25:05 CEST 2010

Michiel Kamermans wrote:

> (And ideally keeping it free, even if it ends up available in book form.
> I personally found that the one truly annoying thing about the LaTeX
> companion - I don't mind paying for a reference work after it turns out
> it is the reference work I need, but what's the point of a free
> typesetting engine when the documentation costs a non-trivial amount of
> money? It always seemed to me the one real reason LaTeX is considered so
> inaccessible to the general public)

I think you will find that the charge for the Companions (rather
like the charge for the TeXbook itself) goes to offset the expenses
of those developing LaTeX (resp. TeX) rather than lining anyone'
pocket ...

Philip Taylor