[XeTeX] using different fonts for one language (Syriac)

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Sep 2 18:41:34 CEST 2010

Gareth Hughes wrote:

> I agree with you that these categories that are logical to Latin
> typefaces, and can be extended to Greek and Cyrillic, are less than
> helpful in describing other scripts. Yes, we are faced with the
> awfulness of 'italic' Arabic and Syriac, which is little more than an
> ugly borrowing from Latin faces. These scripts have their own ways to
> give emphasis. We don't use the names 'Nestorian' or 'Jacobite' to refer
> to script styles in Syriac, as they are derogatory. Even so, many books
> continue this use. We use 'Estrangela/o' to refer to the classical
> script, 'Serto' to refer to western script and 'Madnha' to refer to
> eastern script. That said, I've seen manuscripts use mixtures of these
> styles in the same work, even within the same word!

Many thanks for the explanation and clarification, Gareth.

If I have offended anyone by referring to 'Nestorian' or 'Jacobite'
in this context, I sincerely apologise : I was using the terms used
by Daniels and Bright, whom I had (perhaps mistakenly) assumed
would be cautious in their use of potentially pejorative terms.

** Phil.