[XeTeX] Converting math symbols via xetex

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 01:45:53 CEST 2010

Hi,

Note the following: in latex, setting of mathematical material is __substantially__ different from "normal" text. For example, the Greek letter phi can be entered as φ into xelatex, but is then not treated as a 'special mathematical' symbol. Math symbols are grouped into several categories: ordinary symbols, binary symbols, relationship symbols, punctuation marks, and operator symbols. The spacing between symbols is determined by the classes to which they belong, so that $a + b$ has a spacing between the symbols determined by math rules, and thus different from, say, \emph{a} + \emph{b}. Also, $\phi$ is different from φ in many ways for latex - it is treated as a math symbol of class Ordinary, or as a nothing-special-Greek-Letter. The layout of the document will be different.

Furthermore, usually a special font is used to typeset math material to make it visually sufficiently different from "running text". Also there are many specialized maths symbols available in latex which may not be commonly found in an OTF font. In my documents I am moving to xelatex as far as I can, but I still use "old fashioned" math material. Take a look at the mathspec package, a special package to set math materials with OTF and xelatex.

Regards,
Wilfred