[XeTeX] Beginner questions

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Oct 30 17:42:14 CEST 2010

Am 30.10.2010 um 12:38 schrieb André Bellaïche:

> I have also find a `frutiger' package for LaTeX:
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/truetypemetrics/frutiger/

Get the archive and unzip it for example somewhere in /tmp. Change
directory (cd, pushd) on the command line into that directory. With
'ls -l' you might see then:

   -rw-rw-r--   1 ftpmaint ctan         1.6k Aug  8  2005 README
   drwxrwsr-x   7 ftpmaint ctan         4.0k Aug  8  2005 fonts
   drwxrwsr-x   3 ftpmaint ctan         4.0k Aug  8  2005 tex

The files in the fonts and tex directories follow TDS, the TeX
Directory Structure. So its very easy to use tar to put the files and
the directory structure into the local TeXMF tree:

	sudo tar -cf - fonts tex | ( pushd /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local ;
sudo tar --no-same-owner -xf - )

The following step is a bit uncertain from my point of view since I
don't the exact file names of the Frutiger TTF files. First we need a
directory in which to install them:

	sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/truetype/linotype/
frutiger

Let's assume that your Frutiger TTF files are in /Library/Fonts:

	pushd /Library/Fonts

(otherwise change directory to "~/Library/Fonts"). Instead of copying,
which wastes disk place, create hard-links (you need to correct the
names of the Frutiger TTF files):

	sudo ln "Frutiger Linotype.ttf" /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/
truetype/linotype/frutiger/frutiger.ttf
	sudo ln "Frutiger Linotype Italic.ttf" /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
fonts/truetype/linotype/frutiger/frutit.ttf
	sudo ln "Frutiger Linotype Bold.ttf" /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
fonts/truetype/linotype/frutiger/frutbd.ttf
	sudo ln "Frutiger Linotype Bold Italic.ttf" /usr/local/texlive/texmf-
local/fonts/truetype/linotype/frutiger/frutz.ttf

(The TeX file names are a bit uncommon.) Now update the "hash" file of
your local TeXMF tree:

	sudo texhash /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

Update the MAP files with the frutiger MAP file fragment:

	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map frutiger.map

Now go to pdfLaTeX work with \usepackage{frutiger}!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Encryption, n.:
	A powerful algorithmic encoding technique employed in the creation of
computer manuals.