[XeTeX] ERROR Invalid glyph index (gid 2448)

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 26 18:57:00 CEST 2010

On Tue, October 26, 2010 16:22, Pander wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to pin down the following error in XeLaTeX with fontspec:
>

> ** ERROR ** Invalid glyph index (gid 2448)
>
> Output file removed.
>

> Is it possible to have more information printed to command line and log
> file for where this error originates?

It would be nice to also print the name of the font so the searching is
easier.

Looking the glyph id up with fontforge was not possible. I ended up
somewhere in Bengali glyphs... Perhaps this glyph id is not the same as
the id on fontforge?

Meanwhile I have managed to pin it down to FreeSerifBoldItalic. According
to the output of ttx on FreeSerif regular, bold, italic and bold italic,
all four support these ligatures:

        <LigatureSubst index="0" Format="1">
          <LigatureSet glyph="f">
            <Ligature components="f,l" glyph="ffl"/>
            <Ligature components="f,i" glyph="ffi"/>
            <Ligature components="l" glyph="fl"/>
            <Ligature components="i" glyph="fi"/>
            <Ligature components="f" glyph="ff"/>
          </LigatureSet>
        </LigatureSubst>

However, bold italic does not. This can be verified with:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\begin{document}
\fontspec{FreeSerif}\addfontfeatures{Ligatures=Common}
ff ffi ffl fi fl IJ ij\\
{\bfseries ff ffi ffl fi fl IJ ij}\\
{\bfseries\itshape
%ff ffi ffl fi fl
IJ ij}\\
{\itshape ff ffi ffl fi fl IJ ij}
\end{document}

The line with the % is cause the troubles.

Any idea how to tackle this since this was working before. Could it be
fontspec or is it the font itself? With fontforge I can see ff ffi ffl fi
fl and even st. How can we tackle this one?

Thanks,

Pander