[XeTeX] Font Warning Font shape Vollkorn it undefined

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Oct 26 17:31:27 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 04:19:33PM +0200, Pander wrote:
> On Mon, October 25, 2010 13:06, Pander wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to use Vollkorn in regularm bold, italic and bold italic.
> > However, italic and bold italic are not recognised by XeLaTeX.
> >
> > I'm using the following XeLaTeX test document:
> >
> > \documentclass{article}
> > \usepackage{xltxtra}
> > \begin{document}
> > \fontspec{Vollkorn}
> > ABCD {\bfseries ABCD} {\itshape\bfseries ABCD} {\itshape ABCD}
> > \end{document}
> >
> > LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `EU1/Vollkorn(0)/m/it' undefined
> > (Font)              using `EU1/Vollkorn(0)/m/n' instead on input line 5.
> >
> > With the following fonts installed:
> >   http://friedrichalthausen.de/Vollkorn-2.1.zip
> >
> > How can I fix this when fontconfig is telling me the following:
> >
> > $ fc-list |grep -i vollkorn
> > Vollkorn,Vollkorn Regular:style=Regular
> > Vollkorn,Vollkorn Bold Italic:style=Bold Italic,Regular
> > Vollkorn,Vollkorn Bold:style=Bold,Regular
> > Vollkorn,Vollkorn Italic:style=Italic,Regular
>
> Now that this is reproducable on both Linux and OSX, what is the next step
> to take to solve this?

I think the font is to be blamed here, the family name for the four
styles includes the style name as well; Vollkorn Regular, Vollkorn Bold
etc. but it should be Vollkorn only. The fact that it works with other
apps shows more tolerance to broken font names than XeTeX (incidentally
it works with luaotfload, as the one who wrote the font name matching
code, I'm a bit surprised). Since this is a libre font, you can legally
modify and fix it your self (I just did, after renaming the family name
to just Vollkorn for the four styles, it worked just fine), and you
should also notify the authors to fix it at their side (it might break
font matching in some other application, too).

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny