[XeTeX] Font Warning Font shape Vollkorn it undefined

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Oct 25 18:15:21 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 05:57:41PM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 25.10.2010 um 17:17 schrieb Pander:
>
> >>Fc-cat lists a TrueType font file...
> >
> >Get the newer OTF files from the link in the initial post.
>
> Honestly, me, I don't want these files. But maybe you want to clean
> your system from having more than one version of the font.
>

> >>The fontspec documentation describes how to set up a "font family"
> >>from individual files or variants. Maybe it's the space between each
> >>name component instead of a dash or melting them together as in
> >>LMSans10-BoldOblique is causing this behaviour of fontspec.
> >
> >According to fontspec, all should be fine, and is fine for
> >OpenOffice and
> >Inkscape. It is XeLaTeX which cannot find two fwo of the four.
>

> XeLaTeX can only find what fontspec determines with algorithms from
> the data you pass to it. You could use \XeTeXtracingfonts=2 in the
> preamble to see a bit more how XeTeX works with fonts.

AFAIK, fontspec has no such algorithms, it will (most of the time) just
pass what the user supplied to the underlying engine, for example if
user asks for font "Foo Bar" it will just pass that to the engine +
proper style switch (/I, /B, /BI) + font feature, e.g:

  "Foo Bar/I:script=latn;language=deflt"

It is then up to the engine to analyze that input and locate individual
font files.

Regards,
 Khaled

--