[XeTeX] (Xe)LaTeX output in a non-(Xe)LaTeX scholarly community

Judson Herrman jherrman at allegheny.edu
Sat Oct 23 16:59:02 CEST 2010

I've heard many a story about the heroism of Holford-Strevens. I was
working with OUP-USA, who has much less experience with critical
editions, and so he wasn't involved. I recently enjoyed the erudition
in his Very Short Introduction to the History of Time.

I've also found the (Xe)TeX hyphenation for ancient Greek to be very
good. But I can't remember whether I'm using the standard patterns. I
remember that there is a CTAN or TUGBoat submission that improves on
the widely used Greek patterns, and I converted that to unicode for
XeTeX at one point, and may still be using it.

Ironically, the handiest guide to Greek hyphenation I know of is the
39th edition of Hart's Rules for Compositors and Readers at OUP. I
found an expensive used copy, and I believe the material on
typesetting foreign languages is absent from later editions.

Jud