[XeTeX] arabic

Kamal Abdali k.abdali at acm.org
Sat Oct 23 02:47:04 CEST 2010

HI Houda and Ross,

Ross is of the opinion that the job of indexing in Arabic can be done with
makeindex. I did a little search and reading, and concluded that the job is
not one that can be done in an afternoon (or two). At least not without some
hints from Ross (and others).

For the xindy route, there are files that accompany the xepersian package.
Since the Persian alphabet is a superset of the Arabic one, those files
should suffice without change to create an Arabic index (assuming that they
work properly in Persian).  Since the Urdu alphabet is a superset of the
Persian one, the Persian xindy still needs to be generalized somewhat. Sorry
to keep inserting Urdu in the discussion, but that concerns me most these
days. Moreover, a solution for Urdu should also work for Arabic. As I've
never used xindy before, the task again seems much more complex than an
afternoon's hacking :-).

The 2-column format is standard for indexing via makeindex.

Kamal