[XeTeX] (Xe)LaTeX output in a non-(Xe)LaTeX scholarly community

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 22 20:32:32 CEST 2010

Hello Gareth

I buy the fonts that I need and *think* (hope!) I am still within the
requisite licensing parameters.  OUP, at least, have never expressed any
qualms, though it's certainly a very long time since they asked me about
what faces I had available.  (It's also, as it happens, rather a long time
since they asked me to do a book, and I think I may have gone off their
radar as they have a workflow arrangement that doesn't really cater for the
same person combining jobs that are usually at successive stages of the
production schedule, so only my classics periodical remains in the portfolio
at present:  when I started my all-singing, all-dancing performance this was
hailed as the way things would 'obviously' go in future, but I seem to have
remained, or become, a rara avis that doesn't fit in with their m.o.  But
the fact that I have always typeset in TeX has never been indicated as
problematic in itself.)

I wouldn't have any confidence about a program claiming to convert my .TEX
files into useable Word files.  I guess if I could be bothered to acquire
competence in Perl (vel sim.) I might come up with something custom-made to
match the way I mark up a (Xe)TeX document, but I should have thought a more
promising line would be to read the resulting PDF into Word - a
XeTeX-produced PDF (at least in a language-based text with fairly standard
layout) ought to have pretty robust Unicode that could be made recognizable
to Word, though a perfect replica of the format of the PDF is surely rather
unlikely.

John