[XeTeX] Strange hyphenation with polyglossia in French

Cyril Niklaus cyril.niklaus at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 11:29:34 CEST 2010

> On 17 oct. 2010, at 17:09, Roland Kuhn wrote:
>
>> On Oct 16, 2010, at 15:21 , Cyril Niklaus wrote:
>
>>> On 16 oct. 2010, at 20:57, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>>
>>> Would setting
>>>
>>> \lccode "2019 = "27
>>>
>>> be any help?
>> I do have it in the document preamble, to no effect (with straight or curled apostrophes).
>>
> Well, setting \lccode"2019="0027 actually does fix this problem. Of course, this needs to be done after polyglossia has had its say (e.g. after \begin{document} or after your closest language changing command), because gloss-french.ldf resets it. So, I think patching gloss-french.ldf would be the minimal fix.

Oh, well I had it for years in the preamble… I did not know it would be reset.
A lot of my XeTeXting habits have accumulated over the years I've been using it but, as became obvious in this thread, they are not well founded in knowledge of the actual code itself, which results in silly mistakes like the placement of this lccode.

> On the other hand, why not do it right? "0027 is some ASCII single-high-vertical-short-line which was used in the middle-ages of text input to mean apostrophe, single quotation mark, prime, etc. Now that we have gone way past the french revolution (pun intended), why not enter those characters as they deserve? I find myself not using tex-text.map anymore, since terminals and editors can properly display all those nice glyphs directly.
I agree, and I do make an effort to input the correct unicode glyphs in my documents, and I've not had a problem with displaying those glyphs. Nevertheless the curled apostrophe is an alt-shift combination, not that practical to input. I could make a search and replace as well, but in the case of that article I hadn't. It's why I usually use Mapping=tex-text.

>> In the meantime, the "solution" I used was to change fonts…
>>
> That basically disables hyphenation for this word, like would \/.
I noticed that if I wrote l'in\-formation, it would then hyphenate at the suggested point and not after the apostrophe.

Thanks,
Cyril