[XeTeX] Localized XeLaTeX: was Greek XeLaTeX

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Sun Oct 17 11:18:39 CEST 2010

  Le 17/10/2010 11:10, Ulrike Fischer a écrit :

>>> Yes. This is why I said that the solution cannot work out-of-the-box
>>> (it could work for a limited number of cases).
>
>> Another way is to use the string library from lua to replace μμ with mm:
> They are a lot of way to replace two input chars by two others. My
> editor (winedt) can do it in the background without any problems
> when saving and restoring a file.
>
> But this doesn't solve the problem that you don't want to replace
> every occurrence of the two chars but only some - and that there
> isn't a rule/regex or something like that to discern the one from
> the other. What you would need is a primitive command or a callback
> which allows to extend the list of units which can be used with
> \vskip etc. As long as this doesn't exist you will have to mark one
> of the sets somehow.

That would be a very good idea and I more or less feature-requested it
this summer on the LuaTeX list. But the LuaTeX team already has much
going on!
Besides localized units to solve the problem at hand here, one could
define arbitrary units and use them as the basis of one's design. Or one
could redefine existing units, for instance setting TeX's English point
``pt'' to the Postscript point ``bp''.

Best,
Paul