[XeTeX] new use of alternate glyphs and how to turn them off

Roland Kuhn rk at rkuhn.info
Sun Oct 17 00:06:38 CEST 2010

With two different versions of the font the exact same behavior was seen when switching from TL2007 or TL2008 to TL2010. This definitely rules out a font issue. Furthermore, fontspec prints the specification in the log, and there is nothing in there which would select alternates. This rules out fontspec as the culprit.

I'm curious: why do you always request that people try luatex? Is XeTeX not maintained anymore? I have no idea what luatex is, there simply was no need. Is there a reason to change that?

On Oct 16, 2010, at 23:39 , Khaled Hosny wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 05:21:52PM -0400, Fr. Michael Gilmary wrote:
>>

>> Thank you Nikos and Roland. Your suggestion worked as you said. And
>> it /is/ rather odd to have the alternates loaded by default.
>
> I don't have the font, so can someone try this with luatex, if you still
> get the alternates by default then this either a fontspec issue (or a
> font issue in case you were using different version of the font).
>
> --
> Khaled Hosny
> Arabic localiser and member of Arabeyes.org team
> Free font developer

I'm a physicist: I have a basic working knowledge of the universe and everything it contains!
    - Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory)