[XeTeX] polyglossia/bidi -- footnote rule alignment

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 13:58:15 CEST 2010

Kamal Abdali wrote:
> I'm using the package polyglossia to typeset documents in Urdu, a
> right-to-left language. Polyglossia uses the bidi package whose
> documentation implies that the footnote rule is right-aligned when the
> footnote is in the middle of some right-to-left text. But the footnote rule
> is appearing aligned to the left anyway.
>
> Here is an example:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{polyglossia}
> \setmainlanguage{urdu}
> \newfontfamily\urdufont[Script=Arabic,Scale=1.7]{Lateef}
> %\rightfootnoterule   %force footnote rule to right
> \begin{document}
> افلاطون
> \footnote{یونانی فلسفی}
> \end{document}
>

> Unless the commented statement is uncommented, the footnote rule shows up on
> the left.
>
> Kamal Abdali

Dear Kamal,

I can confirm that the footnote rule is wrongly positioned in your file.
I thought that changing \newfontfamily\urdufont for \setmainfont might
make a difference, but it doesn't (I think this replacement might be
considered more correct in polyglossia). As you say, the footnote rule
needs to be forced to be placed correctly.

Gareth.