[XeTeX] Greek XeLaTeX

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 13:22:40 CEST 2010

>     As I have stated before, it  should be possible to internationalize the
use
>     of LaTeX  and Xe(La)TeX. We just need to develop a standardized way of
>     defining these translations, similarly as is done in  GUIs.
>     All we have to do is define the infrastructure for  translation of commands
>and
>     the engine can do the rest.  Technically, not that hard to do.

There is project called XLogo (http://xlogo.tuxfamily.org/) that does exactly
what Alexandros wants to do. The author has definied 10-12 different versions
of the language LOGO each with the corresponding keywords translated in Greek,
Italian, Spanish, etc. However, one needs to load the correct "locale" or else
her
program will not run. Now, if you want to have a trilingual version of Java, you

need to write a parser that will have 3 times the keywords a normal parser has
and this will make things unnecessarily complex. On the other hand, this has
nothing to do with GUI applications and their localized messages. Depending on
the locale (the application just checks the value of an environment variable),
it
loads a different set of messages, which sets the value of certain variables,
and
then displays the value of these variables.

A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece