[XeTeX] Greek XeLaTeX

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Tue Oct 12 11:00:04 CEST 2010

Hi Alexandros,

	Though I sympathize with your goal and always thought that LaTex&Co
	would be better off if it had its commands in different languages.

	But, Xe(La)TeX is a macro language and as such "predefined".
	Though you can rename the command names it would make it harder
	to exchange information and get help from non greeks or whatever
	language one would set-up such a system. Furthermore, you make it harder
	for those who are beginners to Xe(La)TeX to learn the TeX way of doing things.
	That is if they take documentation off the web or other books they will end up
	using a mix of your "GreekXe(La)Tex" and the officially defined commands.

	One possibility though would be to develop a preprocessor that translated the greek
	commands to Xe(La)Tex (aka English). This way if some did have a problem they could
	just run the preprocessor over the input and recieve an "official" Xe(La)TeX source that
	can be shared. Such a preprocessor could be written in perl or even in Tex proper.
	You would need only to identify the commands (usually preceded by a "\"), parse for
	paramaters, look in a translation table for greek and exchange them with the english
	counterpart. If the command or parameter is not found in the table just do nothing.
	This is somewhat simplified, but i believe a better approach.

	regards
		Keith.