[XeTeX] Greek XeLaTeX

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 10:44:55 CEST 2010

> >  something back to the XeTeX-community by writing a package?
>
> What is the  problem ?  Why should all packages have to use
> English or American as  the basis of their markup ?  Is it
> not time to throw off this linguistic  imperialism and allow
> all the peoples of the world to express themselves in  their
> mother tongues when writing XeTeX (or other  computer-related)
> documents ?

There is something called standarazation that was invented to avoid
such problems. Almost everywhere we use meters and kilometers and
we use these names. Imagine what happens to people visiting
the few countries who insist on using incompatible measures...
In the ancient times, Greek was the lingua franca nad that is why
people use terms like mathematics, physics, architecture, etc.
Imagine someone who rewrites a Java compiler that uses Greek
keywords. Programs in this language would not compile
and thus they would be not portable. On the other hand, one
can use Greek variable names, methods, etc. in his/her program.
Coming back to the XeLaTeX I have written a book in Greek
and in which I present many new example commands all of
them having Greek names. That is IMHO reasonable. "Translating"
LaTeX is unreasonable.

A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece