[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 00:23:55 CEST 2010

On 2010-10-05 05:21:21 +1030, Apostolos Syropoulos
<asyropoulos at yahoo.com> said:

>> written in  WEB, which is a Pascal-based system + documentation; it is often
>> converted to  C for compilation.  And TeX itself doesn't look anything like
>> LISP to  me, but maybe I'm missing s.t.?  (Like a CAR and a CDR and...)
>
> Several years ago I read somewhere, but I do not remember where, that TeX was
> inspired by LISP. It is obvious that TeX processes lists and list form the core
> of LISP,
> thus, I suppose this is the connection between TeX and LISP

Not really having done any programming in Lisp, as far as I'm aware the
connection is tenuous at best. Sure, there's this loose analogy with
lists, but Lisp is a real programming language. TeX is not; it simply
has enough power to masquerade as one. You can express some Lisp-like
concepts in TeX, but that's as far as it goes. E.g.,

"While learning TeX I became a bit frustrated that TeX macros were so
cumbersome as a programming language. I had been learning Lisp, so I
decided to use it as an extension language for TeX..."
<http://www.tug.org/interviews/weening.html>