[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 20:51:21 CEST 2010

> As  for the '>' line, the first version of TeX was implemented in SAIL,
> which  was an Algol-like programming language. The current version is

So what? I do not understand what's the point you are trying to make.
A language implementor can freely choose any existing language to implement
a new programming language. For example, charity, a functional programming
language, has been implemented in C. And someone has implemented a
subset of BASIC in TeX itself.

> written in  WEB, which is a Pascal-based system + documentation; it is often
> converted to  C for compilation.  And TeX itself doesn't look anything like
> LISP to  me, but maybe I'm missing s.t.?  (Like a CAR and a CDR and...)

Several years ago I read somewhere, but I do not remember where, that TeX was
inspired by LISP. It is obvious that TeX processes lists and list form the core
of LISP,
thus, I suppose this is the connection between TeX and LISP

A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece