[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Mon Oct 4 12:25:10 CEST 2010

Hi All,

	I chime in here.

	This is all OT.

	At the risk of being mark as a TROLL, here goes.

	Evidently, the participants of this discussion come from varying
	backgrounds and the terminology is getting all messed up.

	1) structure of a document
		a) syntactic and semantic (linguistic)
		b) formatting structure (tex elements used to describe 1a

	2) computing	science
		a) defining structures
		b) syntax and semantic

	3) TeX
		a) TeX is a program, engine, ML-language
		b) is extensible

	3) XML
		a) is a Mark-up language
		b) extensible ("X")
		c) strictly typed and uniform (well-formedness)
		d) You need a parser of some sort to do anything meaningful
		     with except describe and define structure.

	TeX was developed as a subset of SGML or if you wish clone, variant, etc.
	TeX is a declarative and procedural programming language. What is more
	important it is dynamic! That is it is possible to change the definitions of the
	macros used while the program is running. Thereby giving you the ability to change
	the semantics of the command itself as well as the semantics of the document structure!

	With XML you are suppose to adhere to the defined structure and semantics, well-formedness.
	Yet, by properly designing the structure of your XML-document one can implement
	dynamic structures. It is just a matter of complexity. XML extensibility is based on this fact, otherwise
	one could not define arbitrary structures. Schemas and XSYT are similar to what LaTeX et al. to TeX is.
	The XML Query language could be consider something like a engine. Do not forget XML does nothing,
	you need a program to process the information inside it. That is what the TeX-program and its variants
	do!

	TeX was designed with typesetting and wordprocessing in its true sense in mind. TeX in its pure form is
	very low level and highly powerful, though many do not harness it to its full potential.

	Any comments please off-list, thank you.

	regards
		Keith.