[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Mon Oct 4 09:11:39 CEST 2010

Am 02.10.2010 um 20:41 schrieb Philipp Stephani:

> Am 30.09.2010 um 12:27 schrieb Keith J. Schultz:
>
>> The same should be true of xelshort. It should:
>
> I find your list very useful, but it seems to focus more on the differences between XeLaTeX and pdfLaTeX. What I have in mind is a document that should be readable for beginners who have never used anything LaTeX-like before. I've added a few comments on how the list could be updated to reflect this:
	In a way you are right! But, My list was intended to mention what is missing in lshort that is needed for xelshort

>> 	1 Introduce Unicode from a users point of view
>> 	2 Introduce fonts from the users point of view
>> 		- different types
>> 		- unicode fonts
>> 			- what glyphs are
>> 			- glyph repertoire (roughly)
>> 			- it should not describe unicode features that is font fontspec
>> 		- advantages of using unicode fonts
>> 		       - especially for input (more WYSIWYG like)
>
> Well the advantage is "with Unicode, you can use every character everywhere; without, you can't." Because Unicode is so ubiquitous nowadays, more than a few readers might be surprised that a pre-Unicode world existed...
	That is what it is important and why it should be mentioned

>> 	3 Introduce editors/systems from a users point of view
>
> - introduce the terms "engine", "format" and "distribution"
> - difference between engines and executable programs
	Not sure. Maybe too "advanced". Depends how indepth you go.

>> 		- what TexLive is
>
> ...and MikTeX!
		Opppss! My bobo. Can not think of everything. I live mostly in a Mac world.

>> 		- advice on editors
>> 			- why is the choice of an editor/system is important
>
> I don't get this. Of course you have to choose one, but you can switch at any time.
	Yes, you can switch. But, I believe beginners need some advice what to look out for in a "good" editor/system
	and why they may look for another.

>> 			- suggest TeXWorks/TeXShop as starting point
>> 			- advice of what is out there for the linux world
>> 			      mention that there is E-macs et. al also for
>> 			      Windows/Mac
>
> Don't know if that is so important. If you start talking about specific editors, then everybody wants his preferred editor described.
	True, but do you not that we should give them a starting point that is relatively easy to use.
	Furthermore, any course that introduces programming, or say Word-Proccessing uses a particular system!!

>> 	4 Simple Example Xe(La)TeX document
>> 		- explain preamble
>> 			- class
>> 			- why fonspec et. al.
>
> Why Fontspec: Because you need it to use the key feature of XeTeX, i.e., accessing system fonts.
	Sorry, should have been why you have to use fontspec!!

>> 			- why polyglossia
>> 				- why not use babel
>
> Unless you want to point out the differences between pdfLaTeX and XeLaTeX, don't mention babel.
	Again, sorry, should have been why you should not use babel!!
	Remeber, there few books about Xe(La)TeX and the LaTeX Companion and other books mention babel and
	WE DO NOT WANT THEM USING babel with Xe(La)TeX. The user has to know that babel should be exchanged.

	regards
		Keith.