[XeTeX] hyperref broken??

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Oct 3 17:31:38 CEST 2010

On 10/3/2010 9:11 AM, Philipp Stephani wrote:

>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> \str_if_eq_p:nn #1#2->\tex_ifnum:D \pdf_strcmp:D
>>                                                  {\etex_unexpanded:D {#1}}{\...
>> l.479 ...p:w  \cs_set_nopar:cpn  \cs_set_nopar:Npn
>> I fixed the missing commas but that made no difference.
> Looks like an expl3 problem: \pdf_strcmp:D is pdfTeX's \pdfstrcmp, which might be nonexistent or available under a different name in XeTeX. This *might* get fixed by updating expl3; otherwise write to the LaTeX list (LATEX-L at LISTSERV.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE, I've put it on CC).

Thank you Philipp for pointing me in this direction!  Not being a 
programmer, I would never have known where that error came from or what 
package it involved.

According to MiKTeX package manager, my version of expl3 was packaged on 
September 27 and installed yesterday.  So this was indeed one of the 
packages that got changed when I ran the MiKTeX updater yesterday; if 
something is wrong with it or if it introduced some incompatibility with 
hyperref or another package, that would explain why things that used to 
compile no longer do.  The version now on CTAN was posted on Sept. 14, 
so that presumably is the one that recently made its way into the MiKTeX 
update--it usually takes a week or ten days for updated packages to 
become available through MiKTeX.

I have another machine whose MiKTeX has not been updated recently, so 
maybe I'll try copying the older version of expl3 from that back into my 
main system.


More information about the XeTeX mailing list