[XeTeX] fontspec smcp bug

Roland Kuhn rk at rkuhn.info
Sun Oct 3 11:12:33 CEST 2010

On Oct 3, 2010, at 10:14 , Will Robertson wrote:

> On 03/10/2010, at 6:14 PM, Roland Kuhn wrote:
>
>> While we're at it: the documentation is not completely precise wrt. optical font sizes. I have installed Kepler Std Opticals from Adobe (I'm on Snow Leopard) and fontspec.pdf mentions that the right fonts should be selected automatically, but that's not the case. Unless I'm missing something, I have to use the SizeFeatures for setting the different font files for different sizes, but that is rather cumbersome because then I have to set e.g. the BoldFont, too.
>
> This could either be a font problem or a XeTeX problem or perhaps even a fontspec problem. Could you try using "plain" font loading commands like
>
> \font\1="Kepler Std" at 9pt
> \font\2="Kepler Std" at 12pt
> \font\3="Kepler Std" at 14pt
> \font\4="Kepler Std" at 24pt
>
> and report if the optical sizes are found in this case? Best to direct queries to the XeTeX mailing list, though, since I only know about the fontspec side of things (to first order).

Okay, I've tried it:

rkuhn$ cat opticals.tex
\font\1="Kepler Std" at 9pt\1
Hallo Welt!
\font\2="Kepler Std" at 12pt\2
Hallo Welt!
\font\3="Kepler Std" at 14pt\3
Hallo Welt!
\font\4="Kepler Std" at 24pt\4
Hallo Welt!
\end
rkuhn$ xetex opticals
This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9997.4 (TeX Live 2010)
entering extended mode
(./opticals.tex [1] )
Output written on opticals.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on opticals.log.
rkuhn$ cat opticals.log
This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9997.4 (TeX Live 2010) (format=xetex 2010.9.29)  3 OCT 2010 11:08
entering extended mode
 %&-line parsing enabled.
**opticals
(./opticals.tex [1] )
Output written on opticals.pdf (1 page).

Acrobat Reader tells me that (subsets of) CMR10 and KeplerStd-Regular are the only two embedded fonts.

Regards,

Roland

--
I'm a physicist: I have a basic working knowledge of the universe and everything it contains!
    - Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory)