[XeTeX] arabxetex vs. xepersian

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Sun Oct 3 15:07:04 CEST 2010

  Le 03/10/2010 14:52, Tobias Schoel a écrit :
> I'm no linguist. Sorry if I have uttered old and overcome thoughts.

Let's say they're controversial at best. But not false, mind you: just
very hard to assess.

> As far as I know, languages do lack things indeed: some phonems,
> interpunctuation, grammar, ...

Yes, of course. I was speaking about the lexicon, actually, and the
ability to express thought.

> Political use of phonetics: the German language is lacking the
> difference between the chinese phonems q,zh,ch,x,sh, ... The
> consequence is that Chinese was interpreted as kauderwelsch (english
> translation?) and thus the Chinese as "dumb". This was used for
> propaganda against China during imperialism.

Well that's a /reflexion/ on phonetics, it's not phonetics itself that
is used. Such considerations are of course frequent. See Rousseau's
comparison of the Italian and German languages in his /Essai sur
l'origine des langues/. And see accents, of course: one person's accent
is laughable (or, less frequently, poetic) to another. In France the
accent from Québec is often felt as comical -- until I was told (I can't
remember by whom) of a French professor who went to Québec and couldn't
understand why the entire classroom was laughing at him. His accent, of
course!

In that way, phonetics does indeed play a great role in politics: in
France at least, you'll never hear a politician with an accent that is
considered `popular'.

Globally, indeed, languages are often barriers, generally because
they're ill-understood, sadly. People often think there is a `right' way
of saying things, which is absurd.

Am I not somewhat off-topic? :)

Paul