[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Oct 3 01:07:48 CEST 2010

On 10/2/2010 2:47 PM, Philipp Stephani wrote:

> Typographers generally use systems with better typographical support than TeX can offer, e.g. InDesign or QuarkXPress.
It may well be that ID or Quark are better for advertisements, magazines
with lots of big glossy photos, and such.  But Xe(La)TeX surely can do
anything that is required for traditional text-oriented books, even
those with some graphics.  Typographic quality is one reason that
Xe(La)TeX is so important; without XeTeX, all the OpenType features that
ID or Quark users, or even Word users now in 2010, have access to are
not available in TeX.

And let us not forget the high price of admission for ID or Quark;
unless one qualifies for academic pricing, ID cost $800 last time I
checked.  Even half that for academic users is still prohibitive for
many, especially in developing countries.

David