[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx fails on synthetically-slanted fonts

Takayuki YATO (ZR) zrbabbler at yahoo.co.jp
Wed Nov 24 23:59:23 CET 2010

Hello all,

When I typeset a XeTeX document that contains fonts with slant
(extend, embolden) specified by two-step process (compiling with
"xetex -no-pdf" and then converting with "xdvipdfmx"), xdvipdfmx
fails with showing the following error message:

C>xdvipdfmx pev.xdv
pev.xdv -> pev.pdf
[1
** ERROR ** TFM: Invalid TFM ID: 0

Output file removed.

Source file:
% plain XeTeX
\font\inconsN="Inconsolata"
\font\inconsS="Inconsolata:slant=0.2"
\inconsN This is {\inconsS merely} a test.
\bye

Strangely enough, when I typeset the same document by usual
one-step way, it is converted without error. Why is there
such difference?

Best regards,

Tak Yato (Takayuki YATO; aka. ZR)