[XeTeX] Hyphenated, transliterated Sanskrit.

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 11:38:54 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 01:00, Manuel B. wrote:

>>> If Indic scripts hyphenate in the same way in all the languages that
>>> use the script
>
>>I've seen no evidence to let me think that they do, but I'm happy
>>about any input.
>
> Hmm... I think this discussion could be brought to an end more quickly
> by falsification: we need an example of two Indian languages with
> different hyphenation rules in the same script.

We don't really need to elaborate any further unless somebody wants to
typeset in a language that is not supported yet.

The author of hyphenation patterns says:

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 17:11, Santhosh Thottingal wrote:

> As far as I know, for Indian languages, it is true that languages
> using the same script have same hyphenation patterns. So there should
> not be a difference between Sanskrit and Hindi(Devanagari script) or
> Assamese and Bengali(Bengali script).
>
> And for Indian scripts, the basic rules are almost same,  but not all.
> Tamil got major differences from Malayalam for example.

I would rather not try to be too clever and do modifications on my
own. At the moment there are at most two languages with the same
patterns, even though there are probably more of them that are not yet
supported by Polyglossia.

I would say: once we get requests to support another dozen of
languages written in the same script, we may start thinking about
using per-script patterns to reduce the number of preloaded languages.

Mojca