[XeTeX] Question about polyglossia and babel

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 07:10:56 CET 2010

Hi.

2010/11/23 Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at gmail.com>:
> Hi.

[...]
> Nevertheless the actual problem is not how to use babel shorthands but
> in Russian typeset rules. The em dash used in Russian typography style
> differs from English/Western case so babel defines special commands to
> support Russian em dash style. Previously this definition was copied
> to polyglossia (by me) but it doesn't work as expected.
I tested commands (babel shorthand that uses '--' and custom command
that uses '–', unicode en dash) on several fonts. The result strongly
depends on used font.

So my adivce: use unicode em dash (of course this would break Russian
typography rules). If your publisher insist to follow the rule he/she
should recommend what font to use and you have to define your own
command for em/en dashes.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov