[XeTeX] accent circumflex with unicode-math

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Mon Nov 22 16:20:07 CET 2010

----- Ursprüngliche Mail ----

Unfortunately that doesn't work in all cases:
1. There are combining accents which have no non-combining counterpart, e.g. the
arrows
2. The fact that only the combining accents in Cambria Math have entries in the
AccentTop table indicates that only they are intended for accents
3. It would reintroduce the lack of separation between characters and glyphs
that struck TeX during the last decades and that was overcome with Unicode and
OpenType
I noticed that the Microsoft implementation does use stretchable accents in all
instances, but that doesn't mean that TeX engines have to follow the same route.
Personally I like the short accents placed above single base characters better.
(Not to mention that the search for successors in both XeTeX and LuaTeX still
produces very ugly results.)