[XeTeX] Problems with ArabXeTex

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Sun Nov 21 15:45:12 CET 2010

Christopher Braun wrote:

> 3. I'm using the Scheherazade-Font. Is it possible to set some words in
> boldface? How can I do this?

For this, maybe you could look at fontspec's FakeBold option. I can't
vouch for the desirability, but here's an example:

%%%   This for the preamble ... %%%%
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{german} % or whatever
\setotherlanguage{arabic}
\newfontfamily\arabicfont[Script=Arabic,Scale=1.4]{Scheherazade}

%%% This for the document %%%

\textarabic{السلم عليك يا مريم}

\textarabic{\fontspec[FakeBold=4,Script=Arabic,Scale=1.4]{Scheherazade}السلم
عليك يا مريم}

I used FakeBold=4 since, at least to me, anything less is hardly
noticeable in Arabic script.

> 5. Would it be possible to begin the Arabic text at the end of the document
> (thus, using the normal direction of Arabic books) and simultaneously the German
> text at the beginning?

I've not done anything like this myself, but you could complete both
docs separately, then join them using the pdfpages package (within the
world of TeX) or pdftk, pdflab, etc. for other resources.

HTH.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma