[XeTeX] XeTeX interchar token mechanism vs. Mapping

Aleksandar Zec zealeksanman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 09:50:06 CET 2010

2010/11/16 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 08:39:19AM +0000, Aleksandar Zec wrote:
>> Hello again,
>>
>> Again, many thanks to Arthur for his explanation regarding XeTeX
>> interchar token mechanism.
>>
>> The problem: XeTeX seems to take into account \XeTeXcharclass of a
>> particular character *before* Mapping is done. Please take a look at
>> the following example: the word "baino" should appear equally
>> non-hyphenated in both cases, however it doesn't, depending on whether
>> U+0301 is inserted directly or via Mapping.
>
> IIUC (mostly speculating here), interchar tokens are processed during
> token processing which happens before font mappings are applied (font
> mappings is a font feature and is applied late in the process), so the
> behaviour you are getting seems expected to me.

I see... Anyway, I can't imagine a situation in which this order could
be desirable; whoever needs a Mapping of any sort doesn't want to see
special characters used for mapping purposes treated as such.

Does anyone know a simple way to avoid this behaviour? Some sort of
lower level mapping?

Thanks,
Alex