[XeTeX] Avoiding hyphenation before a combining diacritical mark

enrico.gregorio at univr.it enrico.gregorio at univr.it
Mon Nov 15 18:24:43 CET 2010

> (Sorry if this appears twice on the list...)
>
> Hello all,
>
> Is there a simple way to tell xe(la)tex not to hyphenate
> *before* a
> combining diacritical mark?
>
> For example, please take a look at this minimal example. You
> must have
> DejaVu Sans in order to see the acute sign at the beginning of the
> second line.
>
> ------- test.tex -------
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{polyglossia}
> \setdefaultlanguage{greek}
> \setmainfont{DejaVu Sans}
> \begin{document}
>  \setlength{\fboxrule}{0.2pt}
>  \setlength{\fboxsep}{0.0cm}
>  \fbox{
>  \begin{minipage}{3cm}
>    \hspace*{2.33cm}βαι\char"0301 νο κτλ.
>  \end{minipage}
>  }
> \end{document}
> ------------------------

I don't get the hyphen if I put

\XeTeXinputnormalization=1

in the preamble and write the offending word as

βαίνο

i.e., inserting a COMBINING ACUTE TONE MARK (U+0341) after the iota
(the software used for this message probably does the combination by itself). The
same if I use COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT (U+0301). But no, not with \char.

Ciao
Enrico

--
Enrico Gregorio          + Dipartimento di Informatica          + Tel: +39 045 8027937
Enrico.Gregorio at univr.it + Università degli Studi di Verona     +