[XeTeX] Several apostrophe-related problems (kerning, mapping)

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 1 23:17:11 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 09:39:35PM -0000, John Was wrote:

> However, by reading (ahem) the hyperref manual, I noticed the
> existence of the command \texorpdfstring which does just what I want
> :
> I just have to replace apostrophes by \texorpdfstring{?}{'} (first
> one is curly, second one is straight), and voilà !
> Tedious, but it works !

If your "?" is active, then you can redefine it using
\pdfstringdefDisableCommands:

\usepackage[unicode]{hyperref}

% make your "?" active
\pdfstringdefDisableCommands{%
  \def?{'}%
}

Then the conversion is done automatically without the need for
manual uses of \texorpdfstring{?}{'}.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek