[XeTeX] Bug: unicode-math's \stemathfont segfaults on TeX Live 2009

Nikos Platis nplatis at freemail.gr
Mon May 31 09:58:18 CEST 2010

I suppose your architecture is x86_64?

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 21:07, Gerrit Ansmann <gansmann at uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> following the recommendation of Will Robertson I am describing my problem
> here. A former post can be found here:
> http://github.com/wspr/unicode-math/issues#issue/96
>
> I am using Debian Squeeze with TeX Live 2009 installed not via Debian’s
> package management system, but with the net installer (full install).
> From this I force-removed fontspec with tlmgr, just to install a recent
> version (GitHub or CTAN, I tried both) according to instructions (which
> included extracting euenc.tds.zip into the TDS tree at that time). I
> furthermore updated xltxtra to the GitHub version and installed unicode-math
> from GitHub according to instruction.
>
> Now compiling
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \usepackage{unicode-math}
> \setmathfont{Asana Math}
>
> \begin{document}
> test $\Omega ξ + a \sum ε \cdot ∃ $
> \end{document}
>
> with xelatex ends in a Segmentation Fault:
> […]
> (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fontspec/fontspec.cfg)))
> (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/unicode-math-table.texSegmentation
> fault
>
> After removing the \setmathfont command it compiles without errors. (I
> assume it to be expected behaviour, that the output of the math part is
> reduced to $+ a$.)
>
> If I use \setmathfont within the document this still happens and if I insert
> nonsense commands before this, the compiler first complains about them (and
> segfaults after I accept the complaint)—that’s why I am pretty sure, the
> problem iswithin \setmathfont. Using other fonts (Neo Euler, XITS Math) does
> not help either, nor does using \setmathfont{Asana-Math.otf} instead.
>
> This did not occur on a TeX Live system installed on the same system via
> Debian’s package manager and with a unicode-math version from half and a
> week ago (3ca9b3f) as well as the fontspec version shipped with it. Said
> unicode-math version results in the same problems on the manually installed
> TeX-Live, so do newer ones.
>
> Since another user talked about a similar problem
> (http://github.com/wspr/unicode-math/issues/closed#issue/88 — last post), I
> assume this not to be highly individual.
>
> I am not on the mailing list right now, but have no problem to join, if this
> is wished for better communication.
>
> Greetings,
> Gerrit Ansmann

Nikos Platis
Lecturer                                    http://www.uop.gr/~nplatis/
University of Peloponnese                        email:  nplatis at uop.gr
Department of Computer Science and Technology      tel: +30 2710 372264
"The empires of the future are the empires of the mind." - W. Churchill