[XeTeX] (Off-topic) STIX Fonts

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sun May 30 18:31:35 CEST 2010

On 2010-05-31 01:31:40 +0930, Michael Lynch
<michael.s.lynch at googlemail.com> said:

> If you were to use the STIX fonts in the meantime, given the lack of
> OpenType features in the STIX release, does it make more sense to use
> mathspec instead of unicode-math? I was under the impression that
> unicode-math was exclusively designed for working with “proper”
> OpenType math fonts.

mathspec does a great job mapping text alphabet fonts into math
alphabet fonts, but it wasn't designed to be a general solution for
assigning control sequences or behaviour for the full repertoire of
unicode math symbols (i.e., the non-alphabetic ones).

I haven't really done enough testing to see how far you get with the
STIX fonts without OpenType features, but you can at the very least
*access* all the glyphs. But things like delimiter scaling and big
operator sizes and square roots won't work; they require a "real"
OpenType maths font. I probably won't spend too much time trying to
fake them, however; in the meantime we can use XITS-Math and the other
real OpenType maths fonts for the parts we need them for.