[XeTeX] (Off-topic) STIX Fonts

Michael Lynch michael.s.lynch at googlemail.com
Sun May 30 18:01:40 CEST 2010

On 30/05/2010 15:37, Will Robertson wrote:
> On 2010-05-30 23:20:07 +0930, Michael Lynch
> <michael.s.lynch at googlemail.com> said:
>
>> Does anyone know any more about the project? Has the math feature
>> definitely been delayed until a future version?
>
> Yep, the intial release has always been about glyph coverage and
> kerning. As they say, OpenType features will come next.
>
> The fonts will still be very useful for accessing maths glyphs. I'm
> about to release a package "unicode-math" that will allow access to
> these fonts. (Although there will be some limitations due to the lack
> of OpenType features.)
>
> Khaled Hosny has put together an OpenType version of STIX here:
>  http://github.com/khaledhosny/xits-math
>
> I'm going to test it out soon.
>
> Cheers,
> Will

Hi,

I'll look forward to the next release. I actually brought it up here
because I was interested in using it with unicode-math—excepting Word
2007 and Office 2010, I don't know of anything else that uses the
OpenType math features. (It's also why I'm asking the off-topic question
here. XeTeX with unicode-math users are probably the best group to ask!)

Thanks, I'd only heard of Khaled Hosny's Neo Euler before, so the
pointer to XITS Math is helpful. This seems to do what I want, though
presumably it's less complete than STIX with some of the glyphs not
fully up to date/missing.

If you were to use the STIX fonts in the meantime, given the lack of
OpenType features in the STIX release, does it make more sense to use
mathspec instead of unicode-math? I was under the impression that
unicode-math was exclusively designed for working with “proper” OpenType
math fonts.

Regards,

Mike